TENNERTON – With the recent announcement that West Virginia Governor Jim Justice made that winter sport contests can begin on March 3, the WVSSAC has released another revised calendar for the winter and spring sports seasons.
The three winter sports of basketball, swimming and wrestling can begin practice on Feb. 15.
Per the WVSSAC rules, teams must get a minimum of 14 practice days in before playing in their first game.
Girls’ basketball teams will be able to open their season on March 3 while the boys will follow on March 5.
Spring sports teams are permitted to begin practice on March 15 and competitions will start on April 12.
The state cheer competition, which was postponed from its original date of December 12, has been tentatively rescheduled for March 20.
Below are the championship dates for the winter and spring sports:
Winter sports championship dates:
• Swimming (in Morgantown) – April 20-21
• Wrestling (in Huntington) – Class A-AA: April 21-22, Class AAA: April 23-24
• Girls Basketball (in Charleston) – April 27-May 1
• Boys Basketball (in Charleston) – May 4-8
Spring sports championship dates:
• Tennis (in Charleston) – June 3-5
• Track (in Charleston) – Class A: June 10, Class AA: June 11, Class AAA: June 12
• Softball (in Charleston) – June 22-23
• Baseball (in Charleston) – June 24-26