Woman arrested for trying to give inmate tobacco, lighter

BUCKHANNON — A woman who tried to pass a lighter and tobacco to an inmate at the Upshur County Courthouse last week has now landed in jail herself.

Tracy Spurlock, 26, of Weston, was arrested for aiding in escape and other offenses, and conspiracy, both misdemeanors.

On March 29, Spurlock allegedly attempted to give the lighter and bag of tobacco to inmate Billy McKinnon as he walked from the courtroom. Spurlock gave McKinnon a hug as he left the courtroom and Cpl. Rodney Rolenson with the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department observed McKinnon trying to retrieve something from the right pant pocket of Spurlock, according to the criminal complaint.

Rolenson pulled McKinnon away to find a lighter and a baggie of tobacco.

Spurlock allegedly admitted to planning over the phone with McKinnon to bring items for her to pass to him or for him to retrieve from her pocket.

A recording of the conversation was retrieved from the Tygart Valley Regional Jail.

Magistrate Kay Hurst set bond at $50,000, cash or surety.

If convicted, Spurlock faces a fine of not less than $50 or more than $500 and confinement in jail not less than three months nor more than 12 months for aiding in escape and other offenses; and up to a year in jail and/or a fine of not more than $1,000 for conspiracy.

The sheriff’s department also made an arrest in a fleeing case from February.

Phillip Roy Ogden, 30, of Rock Cave, was arrested for reckless driving, failure to use due care, no insurance, fleeing from an officer on foot, fleeing from an officer in a vehicle, operation of vehicle on approach of authorized emergency vehicles, driving while license revoked for non-DUI first offense, no MVI and improper registration. On Feb. 13, Deputy Tyler Gordon and Deputy Tyler Chidester observed a purple sedan leave a residence on Rock Cave Road and increase speed. The deputies observed an expired registration sticker and Gordon activated the emergency blue lights to initiate a traffic stop. However, Ogden continued to flee at speeds nearing 55 mph and the vehicle turned left into an open field. Chidester saw Ogden flee on foot and deputies followed Ogden into the woods but could not safely search for the suspect.

A registration, insurance or motor vehicle inspection inside of the vehicle could not be found. Ogden has several active suspensions/revocations for unpaid citations and mandatory insurance.

Hurst set bond at $75,000 — $25,000 cash and $50,000 surety.


More In Local News