BUCKHANNON – A Buckhannon man is warning others to be extra cautious after his daughter bit into a Reese’s Cup with a sewing needle inside.
Mike Channell said his children went trick-or-treating on Halloween night – Wednesday, Oct. 31 – on Camden Avenue and Randolph Street on the Hardee’s side of the streets.
“When we got home, we went through all the candy,” he said. “I didn’t see anything that looked out of the ordinary.”
On Thursday, Channell’s 16-year-old daughter bit into
“She bit down into it as she was walking across the kitchen and she started spitting it out in her hand,” Channell said.
“I said, 'what are you doing?” and she said,
The needle was still stuck in
Channell said that he had examined all the candy and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary.
“I looked at the wrapper,” he said. “It was one of those wrappers that you don’t tear it open, it folders over like a Christmas present. I eat them all the time.”
Channell said he first warned the other families his family had been trick-or-treating with including Cpl. Marshall O’Connor with the Buckhannon Police Department.
Buckhannon Police Chief Matt Gregory confirmed Friday that his department was investigating.
In Channell’s case, the wrapper had not been tampered with, there were no holes and it wasn’t loose, according to Gregory.
However, Gregory said that checking candy received is always a good idea.
“Put in a reminder for people to check their candy and if they find anything amiss with the wrapper, they should contact law enforcement,” he said.
Channell said he has received a lot of feedback since making it public - the post was shared nearly 2,000 times.
Some people accused of Channell making it up, but Channell said that he would not make this up.
“I posted it to get the word out,” he said. “One of the guys that walked around with us, he threw his kid’s candy in the trash. I did the same.”
And Channell said he isn’t accusing anyone in Buckhannon of inserting the needle.
“There’s no way to blame anyone because you don’t know where it came from,” he said. “It could have come from the store where the candy was purchased or the factory.”