TENNERTON – Three senior division shooters from the Buckhannon-Upshur 4-H Air Rifle team have qualified for the state tournament slated Feb. 18 at the West Virginia University Rifle Range.
Earning state berths here recently in one of the four regional qualifiers were Brandon Curry and Catie Walton. The third marksman, Brianna Morgan, qualified in another region.
The top 20 shooters from each of the four state regionals qualify for the big shoot-out.
Both of Upshur’s senior and junior divisions won the regional qualifier here.
Upshur’s Senior Division team of Walton, Curry, Jennifer Stemple and Davey Hovis turned in a score of 1667.
Preston County was runner-up
The Upshur Junior Division team of Clinton Crites, Robin Ball, Sam Canter and Elijah Bryant posted a winning score of 1,146, with Monongalia second at 954.
The regional qualifier here was the largest of the four regions with 58 shooters.
There is no state tourney for the Junior Division.
The results of the qualifier held here:
1. Upshur County – Catie Walton, Brandon Curry, Jennifer Stemple and Davey Hovis.
2. Preston County –Bailey Kahl, Wyatt Kahl, Decklan Thomas and Eugene Shillingburn.
3. Taylor County – Kristi Daetwyler, Olivia
4. Monongalia County – Claire Price, Keehn Dunlevy, Chase Atkinson and Nathaniel McCray.
1. Upshur County – Clinton Crites, Robin Ball, Sam Canter and Elijah Bryant.
2. Monongalia County – Jessica Gregory, Isaac Yocum, Malia Britton and Eryn Yocum.