Suspect surrenders after pursuit

BUCKHANNON   A Buckhannon man led law enforcement on a chase into Lewis County Tuesday night before surrendering peacefully.

Gregg Scott Haymond, 44, was spotted by deputy Tyler Gordon with the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department driving a Toyota Tacoma with a registration that should have appeared on a 2008 Dodge Nitro, according to the criminal complaint from the Upshur County Magistrate Clerk’s office.

Gordon said he got behind the vehicle on Red Rock Road and noticed it cross the white line. The vehicle also crossed the white line on Route 33. Gordon activated his emergency lights just before Saul’s Run, but Haymond allegedly continue traveling westbound, driving erratically and swerving all over the road.

Once on the Georgetown Road, the speed of the chase reached 15 to 18 mph over the 50 mph speed limit. Haymond allegedly drove on the center line and left of the center line nearly the entire distance on the Georgetown Road, almost colliding with at least one oncoming vehicle, according to the criminal complaint. After the truck turned onto Wildwood Drive, Haymond allegedly intentionally rammed a locked gate in order to continue fleeing. The vehicle exceeded 40 mph on a one-lane road on the other side of the gate and then traveled through a stop sign back onto Georgetown Road without stopping.

About a half mile to a mile later, Haymond stopped and was taken into custody.

Gordon arrested Haymond for fleeing with reckless indifference to the safety of others, a felony. The deputy said Haymond has other charges pending, including petit larceny by the West Virginia State Police, who were investigating the stolen registration.

Magistrate Mike Coffman set bond at $50,000 — $10,000 cash and $40,000 surety.

In a separate case, James William Champ, 40, of Buckhannon, was arrested for domestic battery, second offense, and obstructing an officer, both misdemeanors.

On Feb. 15, Champ allegedly struck his wife in the throat with the base of his hand, causing physical harm, according to the criminal complaint. Champ has a previous conviction for domestic assault from August 2017.

When Cpl. Darin Hissam and other officers arrived on scene, Champ was asked to step away from the victim, which he allegedly refused to do. Patrolman Tanner Collins grabbed the defendant by the left wrist and attempted to lead him away from the victim, at which point Champ grabbed the pillar of a vehicle and attempted to keep the city police units from pulling away, according to the complaint. Hissam was able to get one hand in handcuffs before Champ resisted and he had to be taken to the ground before being restrained.

Magistrate Kay Hurst set bond at $15,000 cash or surety.

More In Local News