BUCKHANNON — Cathy Vance of Church Women United said, “The Buckhannon-Upshur Unit of Church Women United celebrate May Friendship Day on Friday, May 6, 2022. President Sue Boring and Treasured Natalie Hinkle announced the unit’s selection of Sandra McCutcheon as the Valiant Woman of 2022.Sandra was recognized for her continued work in her church and community, as well as her international mission work. Mrs. McCutcheon’s will represent the Buckhannon-Upshur Unit on the state level as a candidate for West Virginia Valiant Woman.”
Sandra has a vast list of volunteer and mission areas during her life. In August 1998, she went on a mission trip to Costa Rica. Sandra helped with various tasks with the mission’s team, including providing Bible School lessons and activities for the children and assisting with mixing mortar for a tiled walkway outside.
Her husband, Rev. Calvin McCutcheon, was a delegate to World Methodist Conferences for many years and she traveled and attended conferences in:
• July 1986 to African nations of Kenya, Liberia and Zimbabwe
• July 1991 to Singapore
• August 1996 to Brazil
• July 2001 to England
• July 2006 to Seoul, South Korea
• July 2011 to South Africa
• Aug./Sept. 2016 to Houston, Texas
While on these trips they also did mission work.
Some of her volunteer work in the community of Buckhannon, W.Va. was and still is:
• Member of Upshur County Association of Retired School Employees
• Volunteer for Upshur County Schools (helped with tutoring, read aloud, etc.)
• Fred Broks Garden Club member (served as secretary and treasurer; helped with many service projects, including lessons on frogs for a home school group, and garden therapy projects [involving preschool aged children in getting plants or flowers ready for residents at nursing homes/assisted care facilities])
• Volunteer at the Upshur County Parish House (provided meals as a representative from Church Women United and assisted with the backpack project for local children
• Lifetime Girl Scout Honorree for her years of service with the Girls Scouts.
• Served as Wesleyan District’s Children’s Committee Chairperson
• Member of the United Methodist Ministers’ Spouses Fellowship (served as state treasurer for two terms, served on various executive boards and committees for retreats and fundraisers)
Her volunteer work at First United Methodist Church of Buckhannon, W.Va. includes:
• Vacation Bible School (helped as a teacher, with crafts, games and various capacities over the years)
• Member of the Nurture Committee
• Volunteer for Children and Youth Sabbath
• Sunday School Teacher
• Member of the Prayer Shawl Ministry (made prayer shawls and distributed them to people in need)
• Member of the United Methodist Women (involved with leadership roles, programs and fundraisers including the rummage sale)
Sandra has been a member of the Buckhannon-Upshur Church Women United for several years, serving in leadership offices and she serves on the West Virginia Church Women United Board.
We are proud to honor her as our Valiant Woman 2022.