Man pleads guilty to firearms charge

BUCKHANNON — Another Buckhannon man has admitted to his role in a firearms theft and sale scheme.

Dustin Cain Anderson, 26, of Anderson, pled guilty to one count of possession of a stolen firearm — aiding and abetting, according to a press release from U.S. Attorney Bill Powell’s office.

Anderson admitted to conspiring with others to receive, possess, barter, sell, conceal and dispose of 21 firearms in Upshur County in October 2016.

Anderson faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. However, under the federal sentencing guidelines, the actual sentence imposed will be based upon the seriousness of the offenses and the prior criminal history, if any, of the defendant.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen D. Warner prosecuted the case which was presided over by U.S. Magistrate Judge Michael John Aloi.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms, Tobacco and Explosives, The Mountain Region Drug and Violent Crime Task Force, Greater Harrison Drug and Violent Crime Task Force, West Virginia State Police, Upshur County Sheriff’s Department, Lewis County Sheriff’s Department, Buckhannon Police Department and Weston Police Department investigated.

In a separate case, Marc Eugene Adams, 44, of Buckhannon, was arrested for violation of a protective order and obstructing an officer, both misdemeanors.

On Jan. 3, Adams called the victim despite a protective order, according to the criminal complaint in the Upshur County Magistrate Clerk’s office. The victim did not recognize the number and answered her phone but hung up after Adams spoke. There were six calls allegedly made to the victim from that same phone number between 8 and 10 p.m. Adams told Sgt. Marshall Powers that he accidentally called the victim.

On Jan. 8, Cpl. Dewaine Linger was attempting to arrest Adams, but Adams allegedly resisted putting his hands behind his back and walking to the vehicle.

At the vehicle, Adams allegedly tried to pull away and was taken to the ground but then refused to get up and had to be forced into the police cruiser.

Magistrate Kay Hurst set bond at $15,000 cash or surety.

If convicted, Adams faces confinement in jail for one day to one year and a $250 to $2,000 fine for violation of a protective order and confinement in jail for up to one year and/or fined $50 to $500 for obstructing an officer.

More In Local News