Man flees, is caught, escapes, is caught again

BUCKHANNON — A French Creek man who fled from deputies on a motorcycle was arrested but later escaped from the courthouse and fled again before he was finally apprehended after midnight Tuesday.

Deputy Seth Cutright of the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department spotted Marcus Anthony Harrison, 23, of French Creek, on a red Honda motorcycle on the Indian Camp Road Monday afternoon, according to Chief Deputy Mike Kelley.

Kelley said the motorcycle had been reported stolen a few days before.

Cutright initiated his lights and siren after turning around, but the driver, later identified as Harrison, and a female passenger did not stop.  The pursuit continued at a speed of 40 mph on Indian Camp Road , onto Big Bend Road and left on to East Zirkle Road, where the motorcycle ran off into a ditch but kept going, according to the criminal complaint. The speeds remained between 40 and 45 mph and the motorcycle ran into a second ditch and then turned left onto Grand Camp Road ,where Harrison failed to stop at the intersection and continued onto Phillips Ridge Road. At the intersection with the Alton Road, Harrison allegedly ran a stop sign and turned left, where the pursuit continued, reaching speeds of 50 mph.

Cutright noted in the criminal complaint that while on the Alton Road, the motorcycle ran one truck off the road and passed another small sedan going in the same direction before turning right onto French Long Road.

Cutright lost sight of the motorcycle and turned off his lights and siren but soon found the motorcycle again on the Alton Road and attempted another traffic stop. Harrison did not stop and the second pursuit continued at 45 mph before turning left onto Indian Camp Road, right on to Normal Road and right onto Beans Mill Road. While on the Beans Mill Road, the motorcycle almost hit an UTV head on and passed another car going the same direction.

Harrison then attempted to make a left hand turn on to a trail but wrecked the motorcycle. He attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended by Cutright.

Cutright noted in the criminal complaint that he took a report on a Honda CRF150 motorcycle and a Honda 350 motorcycle that were reported stolen on July 6.

A subsequent check of the VIN number on the motorcycle confirmed it was the same one that was reported stolen. Harrison told deputies he traded a two-stroke dirt bike for the motorcycle.

While in custody for felony fleeing in a vehicle, Harrison was cuffed to a bench right next to the holding cell and slipped his hand out of the handcuff and then escaped out the front door of the sheriff’s department, according to the criminal complaint in the Upshur County Magistrate Clerk’s office.

About 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, Cutright, deputy Tyler Gordon and deputy Tyler Chidester initiated a traffic stop on a green Ford on Serviceberry Lane believing that Harrison might be in the vehicle. Harrison jumped out the passenger side of the vehicle and began to flee on foot, but Cutright used his taser to apprehend Harrison.

Harrison was arrested for escape or attempt to escape, a felony; fleeing with reckless indifference, a felony; receiving or transferring stolen vehicle, a felony; and two counts of fleeing from an officer on foot, both misdemeanors.

Magistrate Mike Coffman set bond at $75,000.

Escape or attempting to escape carries confinement in a correctional facility for not more than five years while fleeing with reckless indifference carries a $1,000 to $2,000 fine and imprisonment in a state correctional facility for one to five years. Receiving or transferring a stolen vehicle carries imprisonment for one to five years and/or a fine of $500 to $1,000. Fleeing from an officer on foot carries a fine of not less than $50 nor more than $500 and/or confinement in the county jail for not more than a year.

More In Local News