BUCKHANNON — Main Street was a scene of mayhem on Saturday afternoon, as emergency crews quickly responded to an upstairs apartment fire. The Buckhannon Fire Department responded within approximately 90 seconds of dispatch, assisted by Warren District VFD and Upshur County EMS was also on scene.
The fire originated in a bedroom of the apartment above Tia Harper’s Merle Norman and The Pink Hydrangea shop, and it remains under investigation by the Buckhannon Police Department and State Fire Marshal, according to BFD Firefighter John Brugnoli.
Preliminary reports from the scene indicated the fire may have erupted from a mattress, but that has not yet been confirmed. Damage from the fire was reportedly contained to the room of origin and Brugnoli said the store below sustained water damage.
Brugnoli said they operated with about 20 firefighters on scene and Adrian VFD covered the BFD’s station in the event that a second call may have come in.
Thank you to Upshur County’s amazing first responders who quickly extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading.