CLARKSBURG – The Buckhannon-Upshur golf Buccaneers had a solid showing in their 2019 debut at the West Virginia Golf Association High School Invitational at Bel Meadow Golf Course on Tuesday.
Battling 21 other teams, the Bucs took 10th firing a round of 274.
B-U’s Isaac Lane led the Bucs placing 14th, shooting an 86.
Evan Coffman finished 23rd just two strokes behind Lane firing an 88.
Landon Hitt carded a 100 to finish 54th while Brady Hurst shot a 102 to place 60th in the 88-player tournament.
“I am very proud of this foursome,” remarked Buckhannon-Upshur head coach Jason Westfall. “They are all returnees from last season and they have really worked on their games and it shows. We are not where we want to be yet, but we are ascending.”
With a full roster this season, Westfall was able to enter a second Buccaneer team into the mix of Tucker Hurst, Brayden Hamner, Bryson Bastida and Ely Cain.
The foursome shot a 384.
“Tucker was with us last year but our three newcomers were able to get a taste of competitive golf and are learning all the hard lessons of the game,” noted Westfall. “They are handling it with great attitudes and will grow from it and become better golfers.”
George Washington won the team title with a 249 while Greenbrier East was second with a 257.
George Washington’s B-team and Wheeling Park finished in a tie for third with both teams sharing a 263 score.
Fairmont Senior’s Craig Clark and Brooke’s Ryan Bilby tied for low medalist honors with 75s.
Norris Beard of Greenbrier East took third with a 77, while Matt Aman of Bridgeport finished fourth with a 78 and Joseph Kalaskey of George Washington took fifth with an 81.
The Bucs were slated to meet Lewis County Wednesday evening in a dual meet at the Stonewall Resort.
They will be back in action Monday at the Buckhannon Country Club hosting a quad event with Philip Barbour, Lincoln and Lewis County.
1. George Washington 249; 2. Greenbrier East 257; 3. (Tie) George Washington-B and Wheeling Park 263; 5. (Tie) Fairmont Senior and Parkersburg 265; 7. Ritchie County 266; 8. Cabell Midland 267; 9. Morgantown 272; 10. Buckhannon-Upshur 274; 11. (Tie) Bridgeport and George Washington-C 276; 13. Williamstown 278; 14. Wheeling Central 279; 15. Roane County 281; 16. Lewis County 293; 17. Cabell Midland-B 294; 18. (Tie) Brooke and George Washington-D 311; 20. Lincoln 325; 21. East Fairmont 348; 22. Buckhannon-B 384.
INDIVIDUAL TOP 5
1. Craig Clark (Fairmont Senior) – 75
2. Ryan Bilby (Brooke) – 75
3. Norris Beard (Greenbrier East) – 77
4. Matt Aman (Bridgeport) – 78
5. Joseph Kalaskey (George Washington) – 81
BUCCANEER A RESULTS
Isaac Lane (14th) – 86
Evan Coffman (23rd) – 88
Landon Hitt (54th) – 100
Brady Hurst (60th) – 102
BUCCANEER B RESULTS
Tucker Hurst (81st) – 122
Brayden Hamner (84th) – 126
Bryson Bastida (85th) – 136
Ely Cain (85th) – 136