BUCKHANNON — First Community Bankshares, Inc. (NASDAQ: FCBC) (www.firstcommunitybank.com) (the “Company”) reported its unaudited results of operations and other financial information for the quarter ended June 30, 2022. The Company reported net income of $11.21 million, or $0.67 per diluted common share, for the quarter ended June 30, 2022. Net income for the six months ended June 30, 2022, was $20.73 million or $1.24 per diluted common share.
The Company also declared a quarterly cash dividend to common shareholders of twenty-nine cents ($0.29) per common share, an increase of two cents ($0.02), or 7.41%, over the quarterly dividend declared in the same quarter of 2021. The quarterly dividend is also an increase of two cents ($0.02) from the dividends declared in the previous two quarters of 2022. The quarterly dividend is payable to common shareholders of record on August 5, 2022 and is expected to be paid on or about August 19, 2022. This marks the 37th consecutive year of regular dividends to common shareholders.
Second Quarter 2022 and Current Highlights
• Net income of $11.21 million for the quarter was a decrease compared to the same quarter of 2021, which included a significant reversal of provision for credit losses. The normalized provision for credit losses drove much of the difference between current year-to-date net income of $20.73 million and the same period in 2021.
• Interest income from securities of $1.55 million was an increase of $1.12 million over the second quarter of 2021, as the Company added to its portfolio with a significant weighting toward 2-year treasury securities. Interest on fed funds also increased $602 thousand to $768 thousand for the second quarter as a result of the Federal Open Market Committee’s 150 basis point increase in overnight rates.
• The total cost of funds remained very low at 0.06%, a decrease of 0.05% from the second quarter of 2021.
• Despite the significant increase in credit loss provision over 2021, annualized return on average assets was 1.38% for the second quarter and 1.29% for the first six months of 2022. Annualized return on average common equity was 10.61% for the second quarter and 9.80% for the first half of 2022.
• Net interest margin for the second quarter was 3.78%, which was a 10 basis point increase from 3.68% reported for second quarter of 2021. The yield on earning assets increased 6 basis points, primarily driven by an increase in the yields on overnight funds. The cost of interest-bearing deposits declined 6 basis points to 0.09%, primarily driven by a decrease in the cost of time deposits.
• Salaries and employee benefits for the second quarter increased $1.30 million, or 12.74%, over the same quarter in 2021. Salaries and employee benefits for the first six months increased $2.09 million, or 9.90%, over the first six months of 2021. During the first quarter of 2022, the Company implemented annualized wage increases of approximately $2.5 million as part of its ongoing strategic initiative to enhance Human Capital Management, which included an increased minimum wage.
Balance Sheet and Asset Quality
• The Company’s loan portfolio increased by $134.23 million, an annualized growth rate of 12.50%, during the first six months of 2022. Loan demand and originations were strong in all categories, including construction, commercial real estate, residential mortgage, and consumer loans.
• During the second quarter, the Company repurchased 283,507 of its common shares for $7.95 million. The Company repurchased 415,507 common shares for $12.03 million during the six months of 2022.
• Non-performing loans to total loans remained very low at 0.80% of total loans and continues the declining trend experienced over the past four quarters. The Company experienced net recoveries for the second quarter of 2022 of $258 thousand, or 0.05% of annualized average loans, compared to net charge-offs of $476 thousand, or 0.09% of annualized average loans, for the same period in 2021. Net charge-offs for the six-month period ended June 30, 2022, were $580 thousand, or 0.05% of annualized average loans, compared to net charge-offs of $1.20 million, or 0.11% of annualized average loans, for the same period in 2021.
• The allowance for credit losses to total loans remained at 1.29% of total loans.
• Book value per share on June 30, 2022, was $25.33, a slight decrease of $0.01 from year-end 2021.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to financial statements prepared in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”), the Company uses certain non-GAAP financial measures that provide useful information for financial and operational decision making, evaluating trends, and comparing financial results to other financial institutions. The non-GAAP financial measures presented in this news release include “tangible book value per common share,” “return on average tangible common equity,” “adjusted earnings,” “adjusted diluted earnings per share,” “adjusted return on average assets,” “adjusted return on average common equity,” “adjusted return on average tangible common equity,” and certain financial measures presented on a fully taxable equivalent (“FTE”) basis. FTE basis is calculated using the federal statutory income tax rate of 21%. While the Company believes certain non-GAAP financial measures enhance the understanding of its business and performance, they are supplemental and not a substitute for, or more important than, financial measures prepared in accordance with GAAP and may not be comparable to those reported by other financial institutions.