Fire in Aggie Hall displaces WVWC students


BUCKHANNON — Multiple Upshur County Fire Departments and other emergency personnel quickly responded to a structure fire on the campus of West Virginia Wesleyan College shortly before 1:45 p.m. today.

Larry Orman, WVWC Director of Marketing and Communication, said that Agnes Howard Hall is the oldest building on campus and probably the favorite as it seems to be the preferred dormitory among students.

As a follow-up to The Record Delta’s initial report, WVWC Dean of the Faculty James H. Moore has issued the following statement:

“There was a minor electrical fire in Agnes Howard Hall (Aggie) between the third and fourth floors. College staff responded immediately and extinguished the visible flames, and the Buckhannon Fire Department (BFD) responded promptly. The extent of the damage is still being ascertained. At this point, it appears nobody was harmed.
“Campus Life staff is working with BFD, the WV State Fire Marshal, and Physical Plant staff to determine when students may return inside safely. Students housed on the fourth floor will be placed in alternate housing immediately and for an indefinite period. Students housed on the third floor will be placed in alternate rooms for a couple of days. The second and first floors will be open as soon as it is deemed safe, likely sometime today. 
“Housing staff is meeting with displaced students right now in the Chapel. Students who lived on the aforementioned floors in Aggie who are in class and not able to be in the Chapel will be contacted by staff. Please attend classes as scheduled. 
“The safety and security of our students is always our top priority. We appreciate your patience as we assess the safety of the building. Please stay tuned for updates.”

Advertisement

More In Homepage