Fire destroys garage on Hickory Flat Rd.


BUCKHANNON — A fire destroyed a garage on Hickory Flat Road Tuesday afternoon. The Buckhannon Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 575 Hickory Flat. Rd. at 3:51 p.m., according to Lt. Brian Elmore.

“It was fully engulfed when we arrived, a two or three-stall garage,” he said. “The possible cause is burning limbs and twigs close to the building, and the fire may have went underneath the building.”

The cause is not considered suspicious and no injuries were reported.

At least one vehicle was parked in the detached garage, which was also filled with other items, according to Elmore. The floor of the garage collapsed due to the fire.

“Heat from the fire melted some vinyl siding on the side of the house,” he added.

Firefighters from Washington District Volunteer Fire Company, Adrian Volunteer Fire Department and Ellamore Volunteer Fire Department also responded.

Firefighters remained on scene for about two hours.

More In Local News