BUCKHANNON — The Easter season is already upon us. Many local places in Upshur County are hosting special events to commemorate the holiday.
The Upshur Cooperative Parish House (UCPH), located at 68 College Avenue, began Easter food box distribution. The schedule is as follows:
• April 11 through April 15: Boxes can be picked up on front porch from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
UCPH will be closed Friday, April 15 through Monday, April 18 in observance of Good Friday and Easter holiday.
The Holy Rosary Catholic Church, located on 34 Franklin Street, invites the community to join them in Easter Week events which are listed below:
• April 14 at 7 p.m.: Mass of the Lord’s Supper, washing of feet, procession to altar of repose in Marist Hall.
• April 15 at 3 p.m.: Stations of the Cross (The church will be open from noon until 3 p.m. for private prayer.)
• April 15 at 7 p.m.: Liturgy of the Word, Veneration of the Cross and Holy Communion
• April 16 at 11 a.m.: Blessing of food
• April 16 at 8 p.m.: Mass and service of light
• April 17 at 9 a.m.: Easter Sunday Mass
For more information, contact Holy Rosary Catholic Church at (304) 472-3414.
The French Creek United Methodist Church, located at 34 Slab Camp Road in French Creek, invites the community to attend the April 15 service starting at 7 p.m. For more information, contact French Creek United Methodist Church at (304) 472-0879.
The Buckhannon Lions Club is hosting the Matt Hymes Memorial Egg Hunt on April 16 at 11 a.m. at the Buckhannon City Park. Bring your own basket! There will be eggs, candy and prizes!
Mountain State Martial Arts and Fitness, located at 38 North Kanawha Street, is hosting an Easter Palooza Kids Celebration and Parent’s Night Out. The event will be on Saturday, April 23 from 5 to 8 p.m. The cost to sign up will $20, due before April 19, then will increase to $30. There will be an Easter egg hunt, games, pizza, fun and more!
There are many more events that can be found on multiple Facebook pages. Visit pages that coordinate with local areas, including area fire departments.