GRAFTON – The Big 10 Conference Cross-Country Championships were held Wednesday without half the teams competing, including the Buckhannon-Upshur Buccaneers and Lady Bucs.
With Upshur, Barbour and Harrison being either gold or orange on the state COVID-19 map, only six of the 13 teams were able to participate, leaving Buckhannon-Upshur head coach Taylor Stacy scratching his head on how things unfolded leaving his two teams out of the mix.
“I’m not entirely sure who or how the decision was made,” remarked Stacy. “It’s my understanding that all of the Big 10 athletic directors met but they couldn’t find a way to make things work for everyone. There were discussions about moving the championships to this Sunday with a waiver, but I know some schools were hesitant about that idea with regionals being so close the following week.”
The Bucs and Lady Bucs are scheduled to compete in the Region I championships this Thursday at Wheeling.
For Stacy, he will have to find a way to motivate his two squads after the disappointment of not being able to compete for the conference championships.
“I was really upset that we couldn’t run and so was the team,” noted Stacy. “We lost the Wheeling Park meet a few weeks ago due to the color code as well, so losing our conference meet hurt a lot. Those were supposed to be the last two meets we could run the entire team. A lot of our athletes lost their chance to run again because of all of the restrictions.”
Looking ahead to Tuesday’s regionals, Stacy stated that if the county is gold, his team can compete without testing, but if the county remains orange, his teams will have to have a negative COVID-19 test within seven days of the meet in order to be eligible to run.
On the boy’s side, Fairmont Senior won the five-team event with 28 points while East Fairmont was second with 38,
Tyler Hayes of Fairmont Senior won the boys title with a time of 16:33.37.
Preston won the girls title with 40 points while Fairmont Senior was second with 48.
Lydia Falkenstein of Fairmont Senior won the individual title on the girls side with a time of 19:23.83.
BOYS TEAM STANDINGS
1. Fairmont Senior 28; 2. East Fairmont 38; Lewis County 77; 4. Preston 80; 5. North Marion 136. Grafton did not field a complete team.
INDIVIDIUAL TOP 5
1. Tyler Hayes (Fairmont Senior) – 16:33.37
2. Logan Zuchelli (Fairmont Senior) – 16:40.19
3. Drew Moore (East Fairmont) – 17:06.74
4. Jasper Brown (Fairmont Senior) – 17:49.79
5. Blake Hunt (East Fairmont) – 17:50.44
GIRLS TEAM STANDINGS
1. Preston 40; 2. Fairmont Senior 48; 3. North Marion 68; 4. East Fairmont 80; 5. Grafton 126. Lewis County did not field a complete team.
INDIVIDUAL TOP 5
1. Lydia Falkenstein (Fairmont Senior) – 19:23.83
2. Erykah Christopher (East Fairmont) – 19:35.59
3. Allie Martin (Preston) – 20:20.82
4. Taylor Hess (North Marion) – 20:51.70
5. Abby Nolan (Preston) – 21:23.12