BUCKHANNON – In this edition of 15 Questions With…we interview senior William McCauley, who is a current basketball player and former cross county runner at Buckhannon-Upshur to see what he enjoys about being a Buccaneer and life in general.
1. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in?
Last year when we had the first winning season for the boys’ basketball program in a long time.
2. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur.
It was probably my junior year during Thanksgiving Break. We would go a couple hours and do a lot of running. If it wasn’t that, then it was my freshman year when we had 6 a.m. practices and would run the bleachers.
3. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches?
My basketball coach Travis Foster would always talk about how there were going to be a lot of people at our games and that the bleachers would be full so there would be standing room only. It wasn’t really a saying that he had but he would also always yell at me for being lazy or doing something stupid.
4. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite?
I have two classes that were my favorite. It would either be my freshman math class with Mr. Wilson because some other kids and I always fooled around with him and laughed a lot or Business and Marketing with Mr. Nichols because I had a lot of friends in there and we had an assignment to make a Super Bowl commercial and my group had the best one to ever be made.
5. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer?
Probably just that I’m the undisputed best Buccaneer in the history of the school, but if you ask anybody about it they won’t agree with me just cause they are jealous.
6. If you were asked to play another sport, what would it be and why?
Depends on who’s asking, but probably something like a volleyball manager or tennis just cause I feel like if I actually tried, then nobody playing high school tennis could beat me.
7. Who is your hero and why?
It’s a little ridiculous but I might have to say that my hero is me. I’m not full of myself or cocky or anything, I just think that there isn’t anybody that does what I’m doing.
8. What do you want to be when you grow up?
If it was possible for me to then I would want to like open and run a bar or ski resort but I don’t know anything about any of that and I don’t really have the interest of learning how to, it would just be a nice skill to have. At the moment, I am looking at becoming an avionics technician but who knows I’m always changing what I want to do for a career.
9. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring?
During the winter I have really been missing riding my motorcycle so I’ll probably hop on my bike and just go where the wind takes me.
10. What question do you hate to answer?
Most the people that’s going to be reading this don’t know how tall I am but I’m about six inches over six foot so people are always asking me stuff like how’s the weather up there and other stupid questions. Every time someone asks me something along the lines of that my first instinct is to knock them out but then I realize its not a good idea to go around knocking everybody out, so I’ll usually tell them that it’s raining.
11. Who is the best athlete in your family?
My sister and I have always fought about this question. I would say it is me but if you were to ask her, she’ll probably tell you something different. We fight about this at least once a week.
12. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where?
I like to go to new places and switch it up so I’m not always doing the same thing over again but I’d have to say my favorite is just anywhere out west like Wyoming or the surrounding states, it is just so spread out and a lot of open land. It’s a perfect spot to ride a motorcycle.
13. Social media…in favor of it or wish it would go away?
I mean it doesn’t really matter to me, I just use it for a laugh every now and then so if it went away I wouldn’t care.
14. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Best movie you have ever seen?
Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bad movie and my favorite movie would have to be The Wolf of Wall Street or Wild Hogs
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer?
Try to have fun when playing sports and don’t party too hard.