BUCKHANNON – In this edition of 15 Questions With…we interview senior Samuel Walker to see what he enjoys about being a Buccaneer and life in general.
Walker is a stand-out cross-country runner and a member of the track and field team.
15 Questions With…Samuel Walker
1. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in?
My favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that I participated in was winning the Forest Festival Invitational in Elkins, both the individual and team titles.
2. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur.
My toughest practice as a Buccaneer was running Cutright Road in 90° heat.
3. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches?
My favorite head coach quote “It’s not walk country it’s cross country.”- Jim Johnson
4. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite?
My favorite class I’ve taken at Buckhannon-Upshur is Ceramics taught by Ms. Thompson. I love expressing myself with art and the pottery wheel is a fun skill to master.
5. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer?
My favorite thing about being a Buccaneer is the amazing community support.
6. Who is your hero and why?
My hero is Ward Ries (former Preston High and current Edinboro distance runner). During my sophomore year Ward won every race we attended and this truly inspired me to become as good as him one day
7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
When I grow up I want to become an athletic trainer and have a small ceramics business on the side.
8. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring?
My initial plans after graduation in the spring are to attend West Virginia Wesleyan College where I will pursue a degree in athletic training and start my collegiate running career.
9. What question do you hate to answer?
This question, I don’t mind answering any questions.
10. Who is the best athlete in your family?
I am the best runner in my family but my siblings are amazing basketball players.
11. What is your favorite restaurant and why?
My favorite restaurant is Panera Bread because they have a great selection of healthy food that I can choose from.
12. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where?
I don’t have a favorite vacation spot yet because there are still a lot of places I would like to visit.
13. Social media…in favor of it or wish it would go away?
I appreciate that I can contact almost anyone on social media but sometimes it is a distraction.
14. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Best movie you have ever seen?
The worst movie I have ever seen is Dunkirk. The best movie I have ever seen is Revenge of the Sith or The Rise of Skywalker.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer?
My advice to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer is to study hard and get involved in activities. Buckhannon-Upshur offers a wide variety of clubs and sports for every interest. They are a fantastic way to make great friends and really make your years as a Buccaneer amazing. Lastly I would ask for you not to buy into the lies some people might tell you about drugs, nicotine included, and alcohol.