BUCKHANNON – In this edition of 15 Questions With…we interview senior Molly Fox to see what she enjoys about being a Buccaneer and life in general.
Fox has competed in cross country and track and field at Buckhannon-Upshur.
1. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in?
My favorite athletic moment was the first time I placed in a cross country meet my freshman year. Everyone around me was proud and it really showed me that I am capable. Nothing beats the feeling after a good race.
2. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur.
My toughest practice is a toss-up between track and cross country. I’m a distance runner but in track we did a lot of speed workouts which was so new and different for me. I was hurting in places I’ve never hurt before and overall, it was a very challenging switch for me. However, running for miles and up hills in the heat is a whole level of its own.
3. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches?
One of my coaches for cross country, Pam Martin, always supported me and knew just what to say. When things got rough for me, I remember her saying “Show them what it is to have true character and class.” Coach Martin made my time running cross country better and I’m so thankful for her.
4. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite?
My favorite class has been band, taught by Garrett Friend. Mr. Friend has turned the band room into a place we can go anytime and feel welcomed. He has pushed me these past four years and turned me into the musician I never thought I could be. He has provided me with so many opportunities I would have never gotten without him or band.
5. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer?
My favorite thing about being a Buccaneer has been the people surrounding me. There are so many amazing teachers and students who really care and try to get to know you.
6. Who is your hero and why?
My hero has been Brent Kimble. I remember my freshman year I had him for enrichment, and he was one of the first teachers to make an effort to get to know me. Since then, I’ve had him my junior and senior year. He has always been someone I can go to about anything, whether that be about school, my future, or even personal help. He has made an impact throughout my high school career.
7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I don’t know specifically what I want to be, but I am going into social work. I know I want to feel like I’m making an impact helping others.
8. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring?
After graduation this spring I’m attending Wittenberg University in Springfield, Ohio and majoring in social work while minoring in psychology.
9. What question do you hate to answer?
Questions like this haha.
10. Who is the best athlete in your family (include yourself)?
Several people in my family are athletic so this is hard. My dad and I are the best runners, but my brother is great at throwing shot and lifting. My brother is definitely skilled at more.
11. What is your favorite restaurant and why?
My favorite restaurant is Shogun. It's always so much fun and the food is delicious.
12. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where?
So far, my favorite vacation spot is Gatlinburg, Tennessee. The views are truly amazing and beautiful. There are several attractions and so much to do.
13. Social media…in favor of it or wish it would go away?
Social media has its pros and cons. I love that I can stay connected with my friends and family who I don’t see often. It can bring people closer together. However, social media can be used negatively. It really depends on how it's used.
14. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Best movie you have ever seen?
I can’t really think of a worst movie, but I think The Greatest Showman is one of the best movies. It never gets old.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer?
My advice would be to just go for it. If you think you want to try something new, just do it. Your experience at B-UHS will be much more enjoyable if you get involved.