BUCKHANNON – In this edition of 15 Questions With…we interview senior Cory Hamner to see what he enjoys about being a Buccaneer and life in general.
Hamner is a member of the cross country and track and field teams at Buckhannon-Upshur.
1. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in?
My favorite athletic moment at B-UHS would have to be my first ever invitational win at a regional warmup. It was a tight race until the last lap of the 1600-meter run and there was a pack of about eight of us. I was in fourth with 300 meters to go and worked my way up to the front and never looked back. I won by a half of a second and got my personal record by seven seconds.
2. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur.
The toughest practice we ran in cross country was by far Cutright Run Rd. It was over seven miles and when we ran it, it was always scorching hot.
3. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches?
Coach Jim Johnson has given us many memorable quotes over the years, but my favorite is when he yells, “You’re gonna have to run if you wanna go to states boy!”
4. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite?
My favorite class at B-UHS was AP Psychology. It was taught by the one and only Brent Kimble and I loved it because I was able to learn about why people are the way that they are. I’ve always been interested in Psych, but this class showed me just how awesome it is.
5. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer?
My favorite thing about being a Buccaneer is our Buccaneer Pride. We live in a very wonderful, caring community and I am so thankful for that.
6. Who is your hero and why?
I’m not sure that I have one specific hero because there are so many people that I have idolized as I’ve grown up. All the way from Derrick Rose to Mo Farah or even the two people I’ve literally looked up to since I was born, my parents. And many more in between.
7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
When I grow up, I either want to be a physical therapist or a psychologist. I just want to be able to help people out. As long as I love my job, because if you love your job, you’ll never work a day in your life.
8. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring?
As of right now, I am enrolled at West Virginia University under the Sports and Exercise Psychology major.
9. What question do you hate to answer?
One question that I hate to answer is, “Why did you do that?” because 90% of the time, I don’t even know.
10. Who is the best athlete in your family (include yourself).
I’m the only one in my household who is very involved in athletics. My brother ran track and cross country with me. He caught me off guard in a race or two, but not often. He is a very avid fisherman though.
11. What is your favorite restaurant and why?
My favorite restaurant is Buffalo Wild Wings. My friends and I have gone to trivia night every week for the past two years under the team name “Tunasub.”
12. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where?
My favorite family vacation we have ever taken was to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Those towns are jam packed with loads to do and something for everyone.
13. Social media…in favor of it or wish it would go away?
I believe that social media is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, it allows for everyone to stay connected 24/7. However, people tend to get too caught up on it and don’t focus on the things that are truly important
14. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Best movie you have ever seen?
The worst movie I have ever watched was Jim Carrey’s adaptation of The Cat in the Hat, but my all-time favorite movie is either McFarland, USA or Superbad.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer?
If I were to give advice for any young Buccaneer, I would tell them to make sure they get involved. I would tell them to join as many clubs and sports teams as they can, because that will be their second family. These years are going to be the best years of their life and they go by way too fast. You can’t make memories by sitting behind a phone screen all day, so you shouldn’t let all your time be wasted. Get out there and get involved with this amazing community. Go Bucs!