BUCKHANNON – In this edition of 15 Questions With…we interview senior Brooklyn Maxwell to see what she enjoys about being a Buccaneer and life in general.
Maxwell has competed in basketball and soccer at Buckhannon-Upshur.
1. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in?
Playing on the two-time state runner-up basketball team and playing on the Civic Center floor has been my favorite athletic memory.
2. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur.
My hardest practice was freshman year, playing basketball for coach Maxwell. Coach lined every girl up on the sideline and numbered us off from 1-18. Coach made each girl shoot one foul shot in numerical order. If you made the foul shot, you didn’t run, but if you missed the shot, you ran lines for the number you were given.
3. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches?
“Trust the process,” and “never get out-toughed or out -hustled.” All the head coaches at the high school were big on trusting the process, and believing if we go 110%, big things were going to happen. My father has been my biggest motivator and always told me to never get out-toughed or hustled. It was a family quote from the time I’ve been little.
4. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite?
My favorite class I took in high school was Mr. Kimble’s history class. Mr. Kimble was a great teacher, and I learned so much. Not only was he a great teacher, but he had a great personality and sense of humor.
5. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer?
My favorite thing about being a Buccaneer is playing sports for a community that is beyond supportive.
6. Who is your hero and why?
My father is my hero! He has been my rock, and supported me in everything I have ever done. My father is hardworking and compassionate. He has always put everyone else’s needs before his, and I want to be just like him some day!
7. What do you want to be when you grow up?
When I grow up, I want to be a health/physical education teacher. I also want to coach girls’ basketball.
8. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring?
My plans this spring/summer are to train for college basketball.
9. What question do you hate to answer?
The question I hate to answer the most is, “What restaurant do you want to eat at?”
10. Who is the best athlete in your family?
I wish I could say it was me, but I would be lying. The best athlete in my family is my father.
11. What is your favorite restaurant and why?
My favorite restaurant in Buckhannon is Don Pacos because Mexican food is the best!
12. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where?
My favorite vacation spot is the beach, but I don’t have a favorite beach.
13. Social media…in favor of it or wish it would go away?
I wish social media would go away! I personally believe it has ruined today’s society. People are so curious about what other people are doing. Technology and social media are consuming people’s lives.
14. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Best movie you have ever seen?
Too many to pick.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer?
Always keep God close by, and don’t let others dictate what you do, and how you live your life. Be the person you want to be, and never let anyone change or influence you. Make sure you always set goals for yourself, and always work harder than everyone else.