BUCKHANNON – With the local sports scene under quarantine until the middle of January, on orders from Gov. Jim Justice, we decided to bring back our popular 15 Questions With...segment.
In this edition of 15 Questions With…we interview senior football player and track performer Benjamin Ball to see what he enjoys about being a Buccaneer and life in general.
1. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in?
It would be football when I got my first sack of this season.
2. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur.
The toughest practice was when we had to run 14 gassers from end zone to end zone.
3. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches?
Coach (Buffy) Johnson would say, “Young man, I played football when I was your age. Always get low and fire off like a Mack truck.”
4. Besides yourself, who was the best athlete on the football team this year?
Wow, this is a hard one. It would have to be Riley Carr.
5. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite?
My favorite class was history and Mr. Plymale was the teacher.
6. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer?
Being able to support the school every time I was on my home field or away.
7. If you were asked to play another sport, what would it be and why?
It would be football in college. The reason why is because in 2018 I was told I had a heart problem and that I would never be able to play any sport again. After I was diagnosed as having sugar issues, I worked very hard to play football this past year as a senior.
8. Who is your hero and why?
My hero is my family. I could not have made it without you guys.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I want to play football in college and if that doesn’t happen, I want to run the family business.
10. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring?
I plan to go to college.
11. What question do you hate to answer?
Anything about my past.
12. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where?
Being in the back of the woods, in a mud truck!
13. Social media…in favor of it or wish it would go away?
I am not in favor of social media.
14. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Best movie you have ever seen?
The worst movie would be 13 Reason Why. The best would be Where the Red Fern Grows.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer?
Work hard, play hard