BUCKHANNON – With the local high school sports scene under quarantine until the first of March, on orders from Gov. Jim Justice, we decided to bring back our popular 15 Questions With...segment.
In this edition of 15 Questions With…we interview senior soccer player Atlee Howes to see what he enjoys about being a Buccaneer and life in general.
1. What has been your favorite athletic moment at Buckhannon-Upshur that you participated in?
There is not one specific moment I can think of. It was all an amazing experience watching the B-UHS soccer boys grow as a team and a family.
2. Describe your toughest practice at Buckhannon-Upshur.
My sophomore year we had to run a cooper and our assistant coach (Isaac) Casto didn’t like the effort so we ran the entire thing again.
3. Do you have a favorite saying from one of your head coaches?
Before every game head coach Mike Donato would say “Boys, have I ever told you, you look good in blue?”
4. What was or is your favorite class you have taken at Buckhannon-Upshur and who taught it? Why was it your favorite?
I have taken several fun classes at B-UHS and my favorite was my sophomore English class with Mrs. Morgan. It wasn’t so much the class but the classmates and the teacher that made it so fun.
5. What is your favorite thing about being a Buccaneer?
I am proud to be a Buccaneer because of our athletics. Not only the players, but the support and energy of the families, school staff and students.
6. If you were asked to play another sport, what would it be and why?
If I was asked to play another sport it would have to be lacrosse, I’ve always enjoyed watching my friends play and it looks so fun.
7. Who is the best athlete in your family?
My little sister Zaia is the athlete in my family that is going to be great. From when she started to now I often find her surprising me with her talent for soccer.
8. Who is your hero and why?
My hero is one of my best friends, he as well plays for the B-U soccer team, Ryan Hurst. Ryan is an extremely good athlete and watching him play blows my mind. He plays with his heart and pushes everyone around him to be the best they can be.
9. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I’m never dead set on what I want to do. It changes five times a week. I have my mind set as of now on being an Hotel/Resort Manager.
10. What are your initial plans after graduation this spring?
After graduation I want to take a six month break to decide how the rest of my future will unfold.
11. What question do you hate to answer?
I do not enjoy being asked if I am ready to be an adult. It’s the worst thing to ever think about. No one really wants to grow up and be an adult at this age.
12. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so, where?
I don’t think there is a specific spot I enjoy going, a vacation is a get-away and any time you get one of those is the best time.
13. Social media…in favor of it or wish it would go away?
Social media is a great resource to have not only for occupational use but national information, I see it to be a great tool if used properly.
14. What is the worst movie you have ever seen? Best movie you have ever seen?
I have seen many movies but none have compared to the Hobbit sequel, and I’ve seen many bad movies, being the Twilight saga.
15. What advice would you give to a young athlete ready to start his/her time as a Buccaneer?
There are going to be times where you want to stop and give up...don’t. If you play at 110% and play with your heart it won’t only help improve yourself but inspire your teammates to play even harder.